Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Home Poem

Hello lovely blog readers,

As this week marks the beginning of university classes around the country, I too will be participating in the extra workload that is school. Because of that I regret to inform you that I have not perfected the post for this week.

Instead, I would like to encourage you to dig into another blog by TCK and author of the book Between Worlds, Marilyn Gardener's Communicating Across Boundaries.
Featured this week is a post by Robynn and Adelaide which leads us down the path to a beautiful poem written by a young TCK finding her voice and searching for home. I challenge you to try and read this poem without tears forming in your eyes, and maybe take on the assignment yourself. Below is a short excerpt of the post:

Adelaide is a sophomore in high school. She’s in grade 10. The Language Arts teacher wanted them to write a poem introducing themselves to her and to the class. It was a simple assignment. Five short stanzas. Two lines each. Begin each stanza with, “I’m from…”. Apparently the teacher’s included lines like, “I’m from the yellow kitchen, blue popsicles and red posies. I’m from the white house, the fenced yard, the barking beagle”.
It’s a good assignment.
Theoretically.
Unless where you’re from is convoluted. Unless you’ve inherited some confusion on that particular subject. Unless it’s too long of a story to be captured neatly in five short stanzas.
And then it’s not such a great assignment...

To read the rest of this post please go to Communicating Across Boundaries. And while you are there be sure to check out her other masterfully crafted posts.

Next week I promise to continue our dig into TCKs and what makes them tick, or twitch, depending on what is going on around them. Meanwhile you will find me slaving away over my computer doing research and working on school with a huge mug of coffee and my puppy nearby.

As extra penance for missing this week, and in honor of national dog day which was yesterday, I give you an overly dramatic picture of said puppy (who was born in Egypt and has now traveled across the United States with us. Does that make him a TCD, third culture DOG?):
He looks serious but he's really a big goof

No comments:

Post a Comment